River’s Edge is an inner-suburban, master-planned development in Medford, Massachusetts. The mixed-use development, a 32-acre site, boasts over 1,500 new housing units, 1 million square feet of office space, and an elegant park. In order to be successful, River’s Edge needed to reach the necessary diverse stakeholders: the Medford community, the brokerage community, the real estate community, prospective tenants, and local government officials. To communicate the benefits of this development to each audience and persuade the decision makers crucial to their goals, River’s Edge retained O’Neill and Associates to provide an extensive public relations campaign.
O’Neill and Associates provided River’s Edge and the developer, Preotle Lane & Associates, with a public relations campaign that included:
- Supporting River’s Edge introduction to the brokerage community, real estate community, and prospective tenants by differentiating the development from other developments;
- Positioning River’s Edge to market itself competitively against similar developments;
- Helping coordinate the development’s ground breaking event, and other milestone occasions, like the grand opening of the park;
- Continuing to cultivate the support of residents, community organizations, and local officials on behalf of the development project;
- Developing compelling story lines around the reclamation of the River’s Edge site and its transformation into a vibrant, active, welcoming public space;
- Developing additional story lines promoting the residences as a premier living destination just outside Boston with first-class amenities and a superior quality of life; and
- Developing story lines promoting the River’s Edge office building as a first-class location for corporate tenants with easy access to Boston, a wealth of amenities in the immediate vicinity, and a unique setting within the River’s Edge site, which is unlike any other.
O’Neill and Associates public relations campaign generated a steady and reliable stream of positive and promotional media coverage, highlighting the great story of the River’s Edge site and its transformation. Our media relations work led to print coverage in the Boston Herald, Boston Globe, Boston Globe North, Malden Observer, High-Profile Monthly, Banker and Tradesman, as well as in television features on New England Cable News and “Chronicle” on Boston’s WCVB Channel 5. The overwhelmingly positive media established over the course of our campaign was critical to establishing a favorable project image and an appreciation of River’s Edge as an important community asset. In addition, the River’s Edge offices saw an increased flow of prospective tenants visiting the site, while leasing agents for the Residences exceeded their unit rental goals at various milestone amidst highly favorable coverage in the real estate press.