RCN Offers Free Connectivity, Deferred Payments, Internet First Program and More to Help Customers Amid COVID-19
RCN, an award-winning and leading provider of fiber and broadband services, today announced a series of steps to help residential and business customers who’ve been affected directly and indirectly by COVID-19 address expanded internet connectivity needs, as well as mitigate financial hardships.
RCN’s Internet, TV and phone services support and enable residential customers and their families, as well as business customers, to work-from-home and school-from-home, while continuing to perform important day-to-day activities such as calling a loved one, video conferencing, checking emails, sharing files, watching a movie, social media, online shopping, and more.
RCN will offer free internet and WiFi for 60 days to all qualifying low-income households, especially students in low income households who do not already subscribe to their internet service and who enroll in the Internet First program.
- The Internet First program is affordable internet designed to help families and students in low-income households to have reliable access to the internet. It will enable them to home school, do homework, and access educational resources and more. RCN will partner with school districts to ensure local communities are aware of these tools to help students learn remotely.
- The Internet First program includes 25Mbps high-speed internet service at $9.95 per month and is available to all eligible new residential customers who do not currently have RCN service. Installation fees will be waived for eligible students and new customers.
- RCN will not terminate service to any residential or business customer because of their inability to pay their bills due to disruptions caused by COVID-19. Customers can reach out to make special arrangements to keep services active.
- The company will waive any late fees that any residential or small business customer might normally incur because of their economic circumstance related to COVID-19.
RCN’s network is engineered and built for capacity, speed, reliability, and expansion. With more people than ever working from home in response to the COVID-19 situation, RCN continues to see optimal performance of its network, with significant excess capacity should usage increase. RCN continuously tests, monitors and enhances its systems to ensure optimal performance and a reliable connection.
“Our customers, the communities we serve, and government agencies are all counting on us to have services up and running as reliable communication is a critical tool during this time,” said Chris Fenger, Chief Operating Officer of RCN. “Service and business continuity are critical priorities as we execute plans and processes that protect the health and welfare of our residential and business customers, employees and communities. We are committed and ready to do our part in taking care of each other during this time.”
More About Internet First
This program is an affordable and easy internet option for low-income families who are new customers that live in an RCN service area:
- First 60 days of complimentary Internet First service, followed by $9.95/month for 10 months.
- Service includes 25 Mbps speed, modem and standard WiFi.
- Eligible for individuals who qualify for public assistance programs like the National School Lunch Program, housing assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, and others.
More information on Internet First is available at www.rcn.com/internet-first.
RCN Boston serves the communities of Allston, Arlington, Boston, Brighton, Brookline, Burlington, Charlestown, Dedham, Dorchester, Everett, Framingham, Hyde Park, Lexington, Milton, Natick, Needham, Newton, Peabody, Revere, Roslindale, Somerville, Stoneham, Wakefield, Waltham, Watertown, West Roxbury and Woburn.
RCN Telecom Services, LLC (www.rcn.com and www.rcn.com/business) provides industry-leading high-speed internet, digital TV and phone services for residential, small/medium and Enterprise business customers. As a five-time recognized provider, RCN has been acknowledged in multiple residential and business categories in PCMag’s Readers’ Choice Awards in the years 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019. RCN is YouTube HD Verified, earning the company the highest-ranking that Google offers. RCN is also a Netflix Open Connect partner, placing in the Top rankings on the Netflix USA ISP Speed Index in the markets RCN serves. RCN’s affordably priced advanced digital services are delivered through its proprietary, state-of-the-art fiber-rich network and supported by 100% U.S.-based customer service. RCN’s primary service areas include Boston, Chicago, Lehigh Valley (PA), New York City, Philadelphia (Delaware County) and Washington, DC.
About RCN, Grande Communications and Wave Broadband
RCN Telecom Services, LLC (www.rcn.com) Grande Communications (www.mygrande.com) and Wave Broadband (www.wavebroadband.com) form the sixth largest US cable operator and provide industry-leading high-speed internet, broadband communications solutions, digital TV, phone services and fiber optic solutions for residential and business customers across the United States. Together, RCN, Grande and Wave serves areas of Massachusetts, Chicago, Pennsylvania, New York City, and Washington, DC. (RCN); Texas (Grande Communications) and Washington, Oregon and California (Wave Broadband).